Saturday, March 8, 2008

Amazing nights

I just had one of the most amazing evenings I have ever had in my entire life.

There is a very shy, cute woman I know through Salsa. She started perhaps 5 months ago, and I had been caught by her almost since she started.

I remember sitting there with a buddy getting high quite a long time ago. We were watching some indie flick, and just talking about random stuff. I told him that I was very attracted to this beautiful woman, Katie. He said that she was a very classy girl and told me who he thought was pretty cute; I can't remember who he was talking about.

At that moment, while I was fairly stoned, I remember feeling trapped thinking about how much I really *really* was into this girl. I had never really spoken to her, but we had some really amazing dances. Every time I tried to speak to her I just couldn't say anything that made any sense. I remember distinctly my intense focus on her and the tight feeling in my chest regarding her.

The funny thing is that when I am high I am more sensitive than at any other time. Things hurt when I am high that do not hurt normally, and I am open to ideas and random things I would normally not be very open to. Thinking about her when I am in such a state is a sure road to disaster, clearly. I tried to distance myself from such thoughts later because I felt that being in such a state would destroy any chances I had of actually dating her.

Anyway, we danced a couple really hot evenings, and we were getting closer. Finally, at the end of one evening, I pulled her aside and said something to this effect:
"I feel that we are getting very close while dancing. I think there is more to this than a dance, and I want to take this relationship off the floor." She replied that she was interested in the same, but said that it was very important to her to take it slow. I respect that, and I asked for her number and that was it. We held hands for a short while, but there was no kissing or anything like that.

Well, fast forward two weeks and it is time for the Denver art walk. All the galleries are open, there are several artists I enjoy seeing, and there is plenty of wine for any occasion. Of course, when I want to spend a night looking at amazing pieces of art (and some not so amazing...) I am going to try to spend it with the most beautiful woman in the world, right?

And what an evening it was. We got down to Denver around 7, or 7:15. I don't remember much, other than that she really liked to spend time with various pieces. Once she started to focus on some artwork, she took it in and thought about it for a while.

Gradually, as the night wore on, we had more wine and looked at more and more art. The final place we went was an artist's workshop. I know the artist, I have followed him, and I really like his work. Katie, Kyle (the artist) and I spoke at length about his pieces and what it was like being an artist (how many prints did he sell, how much work did he do for commission, etc.).

All the while, I had this amazingly beautiful woman by my side checking things out. She is very shy. When I say very, I mean like so shy when I kiss her hand she blushes and looks down. When we dance, she won't look at me very much. Sometimes I have to sort of kneel down and get under her to catch her eye; she will then look at me for a bit, get a huge smile on her face, and then look away.

Another odd fact is that when I hold her close I cannot concentrate. I almost lost a pullover tonight, because I put it down to dance with her and then I didn't remember it for about 10 minutes. We had to wander back and find it again. I noticed this during salsa; when I just pull her body next to mine it feels like I cannot breathe and like I can breathe for the first time in my life all at the same time. I then loose track of the music, rhythm, and everything else all at the same time.

Finally we went back to her apartment and watched a documentary on children of prostitutes in Bombay. It was very moving and I loved it. Plus I had the most beautiful woman in the world in my arms during the documentary.

It was an amazing evening. We kissed for the first time. What else can I say?

Chris

No comments: