Sunday, February 3, 2008

Singaporean Wedding Reception

Last night was the Singaporean wedding. Kevin, one of the guys on the team, is now married to a very smart, very beautiful young woman named Yeo Ming (I think, I only met her once). He looks chinese (and I think he can speak it) but he is from canada and his English is absolutely indistinguishable from mine. He worked for Microsoft in Seattle for a while which is where I believe he met her.

We only went to the reception, but I thought it was an incredibly sweet gesture on his part as I don't really know him and he invited me; it was a very nice banquet so it had to cost a lot of money to add someone.

The reception was interesting; literally a nine course meal. Things like octopus, jelly-fish, and suckling pig. Everything tasted great, and it actually reminded me of a western style reception. There were speeches, singing, but no dancing. The food was excellent, and the two wedding birds were amazing hosts.

Yeo came to our table and personally asked me if I would like some whiskey. They had Mclellen 12 year Scotch, which is upper middle range and it tasted amazing with the food. I couldn't believe it; I hope that should I get married I can be as gracious of a host either Kevin or Yeo.

I didn't find anything particularly Chinese about it other than the exquisite food and we yelled some two syllable phrase for a very long time. Long enough my throat got sore and I had to just sort of sing one note because yelling was making me cough.

Later we went out to MOS (Ministry of sound); a large, multi-room techno joint that I thought was very cool. I had no luck on the floor getting attention. I believe I need to be more aggressive, it is really difficult for me to go up to a girl and dance with her, but I noticed that a lot of guys did exactly that. But I had some fun times with various members of the wedding party and overall I drank a ton and an equal amount of fun. Which leads me to the next post.

No comments: