Saturday, February 9, 2008

Taiwanese craziness

Spent today wandering around Taiwan. My concerns last night about there being some anti-chris sentiment did not come to pass; this family is super chill and could really care less.

They are also very wealthy and well known. I went out with Kin Sun, Grandma Chang, and Kikko (Kin Sun's sister in law). We have our own driver, and there are at least two police stationed outside the main building at any given time. I don't really know what to make of this, and I am not going to ask too many questions.

Anyway, we went to a 10 floor shopping center with each floor packed as hell. This is Chinese new year, so everyone and their brother is off work right now and out shopping. We tried to find some real chinese clothes for me, but there was only one tiny place with a very small selection. It was very expensive and I didn't love anything, so they dropped me off at an open market and went home for a while.

I found a couple things at the open market, and then they picked me up and we went to dinner.

A real french dinner high above the city. 7 courses, pretty good but it was more for the location and the quality of food. I don't know how much it cost but it wasn't cheap. Think Flagstaff range and you wouldn't be very far off.

Nothing in Taiwan is cheap. It isn't like Singapore or China where you can find certain things for very cheap. Everything here costs a hell of a lot.

It is also a completely different world. In Europe you can figure out the letters and such. They don't even use letters here. Looking at a menu, you have **zero** idea what you are looking at. I have wonderful hosts, but if it weren't for that I would be very lost. If you want to vacation here, I recommend studying Mandarin for about 1 month damn hard. You need something to hang onto, this is very very different.

Meanwhile I read email about all the super difficult things we have to get working and when and how going on at work. Shizzle just doesn't get much easier.

Some day I might just walk away and do something else.

The women here look amazing, btw. Chinese women have beautiful figures and at least the ones I see are very cute.

No comments: